Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Day 27: Pobject's left sandal


Was this sandal lost, or left behind in haste?
Whose is it? Does it belong to
Odysseus, bound for Ithaca, or to Christ, lost
in the midst of fleet-footed ministrations
to threadbare lepers?


And why the left one – I ask myself –
is there some theological significance to
this sinister circumstance?

I am older now
than Dr. Lopez was when he explained
how if we were to build a computer encompassing
all of everything (every you and me, every random daffodil,
every Oxford comma) it could help us peek
under tomorrow’s hood.

That dog won’t hunt, not barefoot, besides.
Maybe the left one was just too snug?

1 comment:

  1. 1. I love the Oxford comma reference. 2. I spent most of the month wondering if this sandal were left as in "left behind" while the other walked on or left as in right. Your piece encompasses both!! Loves it!

    You are... pretty smart. (Today is understatement day, right?)

    I hope Maggie feels better SOON! :)

    ReplyDelete