Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Day 25: Lobject's storybook

Hands down, there is no better storybook series than Amelia Bedelia. This kind-hearted housekeeper puts sponges in sponge cake, sprinkles dust on the furniture, and actually runs home when she hears homerun at a baseball game.  

Peggy Parish is the first reason I love the English language. The Adventures of Amelia Bedelia is the first book I remember laughing with and rereading over and over. I told everyone I knew about Amelia and how funny she was. I can easily recall the image of a chicken wrapped in ribbons and bows. Amelia dressed the chicken like she was asked. And no one should be mad at her for following directions.

Amelia’s mindset has stayed with me. When my mom asked me to cut the grass, I opened the drawer with the scissors. When my teacher asked me to write my math problem on the board, I stood with the chalk in my hand contemplating how much trouble I’d get in if I wrote my math problem on the board. When a friend wants to catch a ride, I consider slowing down as I drive by the house but not stopping. It’s silly, I know, but I feel as strongly now as I did at age six about specific word choice. Wouldn’t the world be simpler if everyone said exactly what they meant?

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if I every read Amelia! But now I want to! I am sure Elliott would love her - you know, he loves a good laugh!

    ReplyDelete